The Game Changer (The Perfect Game, #2)

The Game Changer (The Perfect Game, #2) - J. Sterling It takes a lot to change my mind about a character. Once I form an impression it's pretty hard for the story to change my mind. At the end of the first book in the series The Perfect Game, I was torn between feeling sorry for Jack and thinking karma is a bitch and he got what was coming to him. The epilogue for that book kind of tied things up but left me with lots of questions.The Game Changer picks up pretty much where The Perfect Game left off- with Jack at the door in his brand new Mets jersey. There is no "will she take him back" moment because we already know Cassie does in the previous books epilogue. We are treated to a series of flashbacks that shows us what happened to Jack when he and Cassie were apart. Love him or hate him, Jack did have his reasons for not contacting Cassie for as long as he did and being a man, they made sense to him.Just because Jack and Cassie are back together doesn't mean it's all smooth sailing- at all. Cassie gets a hard crash course in what it means to be a major league baseball player's girlfriend from obnoxious fans to the mean girl wives and Jack goes through the emotional wringer trying to make up for month's of wrong decisions. Oh, and don't forget the hot new driver, Matteo, that's in the mix as well.The Game Changer pretty much had me right from the start. My curiosity of what went down while Jack was out of the picture was insanely high. I would have been just like Cassie; I need to hear all the details no matter what. And I just want to take this moment to say that I think that Melissa is one of the best friend characters I've ever read. I would want her in my corner anytime.I had a lot of back and forth feelings for this book. I've always said one of my favorite things about reading a series is the chance to see the characters grow and change in each book. In the first book I felt like Jack changed too quick for Cassie and his relapse was not a surprise no matter how much he was in love. This book's Jack Carter though, this Jack Carter stepped up to the plate and was definitely able to "prove it". Strangely enough it was Cassie that drove me a little crazy this time. Cassie has had to deal with a lot in her life even before she met Jack. It shaped a lot of her reactions to him and I don't blame her at all for any of them. But there were a few times where she made some un-Cassie like decisions. Jack was trying so hard to make up for the past and to "prove it" and she was putting up roadblocks that were not doing them any good. But again, J. Sterling pulled everything together at the end and even gave the us and Cassie the satisfaction of slapping their problems out. The Game Changer is a perfect follow up and although Cassie and Jack's story came to a wonderful close I hope that we'll get to see more of Dean and Melissa in the future.